Monday, June 7, 2010

Daddying

I don't think in history anyone has ever said "You know what, being a Dad is a piece of cake." Well, maybe there are some people who have said that, and those people fall under two categories: The fathers that are never around, and have the mother completely take care of the baby and the deadbeat dads who run away from the family. But those types of people don't really count anyway, so I will not further discuss them.

For the past year and a bit I have been a stay-at-home dad. I started when I was still writing my thesis, and continued until this day, and will continue now until I find a job. The decision to stay at home was was easy and tough at the same time. It was easy, because who wouldn't want to have a Sugar mama (thanks hon) to take care of the bills while I get to play with my daughter and toys all day. It was tough, because I really want to try my chops at working in a real job, where I have to use my brain (I currently work at a video store part time).

It has been a satisfying year. I have learned much in responsibility and how to take care of another human being. I have been able to teach my daughter in the ways of the Force, about Yoda, how to count, colours, help her master walking. All the good things. For me, it would be tough not to want to be involved in these learning steps in her life. I know that my wife says it sucks to be gone all day, and only getting to see the little turkey for a couple of hours at most every day.

I will have to continue my thoughts on fathering on another occasion, as my kid has just taken all my video games out and they are scattered all over the floor.

-d

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit. We always love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...