Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Awesome Frosting Recipe

This different coloured icing is from my Care Bear Cake, which turned out great.

My sister-in-law gave me this frosting recipe, when I asked her if she thinks I'd be able to pipe a Care Bear cake for my daughter's 3rd Birthday Party. I told her that I have no prior piping knowledge and that this kind of thing really isn't my forte. Having piped many cakes, she told me that it really all comes down to the frosting recipe and that this one has never failed her, yet.

Makes 3 cups of Frosting

*1/2 cup of solid vegetable shortening (it's easy to use Crisco - 1 stick)
*1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
*1 teaspoon of vanilla
*4 cups sifted icing sugar
*2 tbsp milk

Beat butter and shortening together with a mixer. Ad the vanilla and mix it in. Gradually add the sugar, one cup at a time. Beat well on medium speed after each addition. When all of the sugar has been mixed in, it will look kind of dry - that's a good thing. Mix in the milk and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.

This Frosting can be made ahead of time and put in the fridge - just put a damp piece of paper towel/tea towel over the bowl to prevent the frosting from getting crusty.

Linking up with Making Friends Monday & Skip to My Lou

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by today! I'm a new GFC follower!
    http://confessionsofafrugalmind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing this! I've been on the hunt for the perfect icing recipe for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!
    Thanks for following. I'm following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is the recipe i use for my go to buttercream! it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I'm definitely getting into cakes, I'm doing a month of them on my blog. Feel free to check it out.

    http://anisfavoritethings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit. We always love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...