Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Healthy Baby Cereal Cookies

Thanks to Chez Lisa: Quest for Favourites for the great picture!

So, I've made these cookies several times already and the kids and adults (adults that don't mind eating healthy snacks, that is) love them alike.  I made them several times for my friend, when he was in the hospital with cancer, because he wasn't allowed any sugar, so this recipe was perfekt.  I found the recipe on my friend Crystal's blog here.  The cookies are not only healthy but also really simple & quick to make, which is always a plus for a mommy, right?  Please find the recipe below:

Baby Cereal Cookies

1/2 cup butter, margarine or oil
1/2 cup sugar or fruit puree
2 tsp vanilla
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup flour (white or whole wheat)
2/3 cup infant cereal
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
2 tbsp coco powder (optional)




Preheat oven 375 degrees. Grease baking sheets, use parchment paper or silicone sheets. Beat butter and sugar/puree. Slowly beat in vanilla and egg. In separate bowl, mix all other ingredients. Slowly incorporate into butter mixture. Spoon cookie mix onto baking sheets. Cook 10 minutes. 

Thanks to Chez Lisa: Quest for Favourites for the great picture!

I usually have to bake my cookies for about 15minutes instead of the 10 minutes it says in the recipe and love it when they get a crunchy bottom to it.  I like using the Beechnut Multigrain Baby Cereal (my parents stocked me up from their visit to the States, as we no longer have Beechnut in Canada - DARN!) and Apple Puree.  I've also made the cookies with butternut squash, sweet potato and carrot puree.  I omit the coco powder and salt.

Hope you enjoy as much as we do!


Linking up with Skip to My Lou, Chez Lisa: Quest for Favourites

7 comments:

  1. This is a great way to use up extra cereal! I had so much leftover! Thanks!
    http://www.homesandbabies.com
    http://notyourordinaryrecipes.blogspot.com New follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I found this recipe on a search for using up baby cereal and I was wondering if when you used the butternut squash, carrots or sweet potato if you use them individually or mix together. I know this is an old post but hopefully I'll get a response. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, thanks so much for your question! :) You can use them all together or separately, it really is up to you. I sometimes only used one and sometimes mixed them. Let me know how they turn out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for replying. I had another question about the texture of the cookie, mine turned out kind of 'spongy' is that what the texture inside is supposed to be like. I used apple puree instead of sugar with the butter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Monica, yeah, ours were usually spongy, too. They turned out differently at different times. You could try leaving them in a bit longer, if you'd prefer them to be a different texture and see what you get. :) This isn't much help, is it?! :) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm gonna try it with the sugar instead of fruit puree and see if that makes a difference.

      Delete
  6. I've made these cookies twice now. Once with apple sauce and once with squash puree and cinnamon. The cookies have a muffin like texture, not chewy. My 10mos son and my husband like them. I get 20 cookies per batch and that equals about 1/2 Tbsp of baby cereal per cookie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit. We always love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...