Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chicken & Vegetable Curry Recipe

Prep Time: About 45 minutes  Cook Time: About 30 minutes.


I don't know how I missed this one.  I was sure that I posted this recipe already, as my family was curious about the recipe.  I checked all of the recipe posts and couldn't find it.  Well, at least it gives me something to write about.

I made this curry first for my parents when they came to visit about a year ago.  My parents, who are still skeptical to think that I can actually cook (you ask someone how long to boil an egg for when you are 14 and you'll never live it down), were actually quite surprised with how tastey and easy to make this recipe actually is.  There is nothing authentic about this curry, other than the spices that go into it, but it is nice an colourful and has lots of (also healthy) stuff in it.  Here is what you will need:

*3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized cubes (I like to use 1/2 breast per person, because are so many other ingredients)
*2 potatoes, cut into small cubes
*8 hard boiled eggs
*2 carrots, thinly sliced
*1 red pepper, thinly sliced
*1 zuccini, cubed
*1 red onion, finely chopped
*3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
*handful of snowpeas
*1 can of evaporated milk
*2-3 tsps of chicken stock powder
*salt and pepper
*2 tsp garam masala
*2-3 tsp curry powder (or to taste)
*Basmati rice
*Mango Chutney

Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium heat with a couple of generous splashes of extra virgin olive oil.  once hot, toss in the carrots and potatoes and cook them for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.  In the meantime, you can boil the eggs and prepare the other veggies and chicken.  After about 5 minutes, add the onions and peppers and cook for another couple of minutes, then add the chicken and the garlic and season with some salt and pepper.  (If the pan is getting a little dry, you can add a little more olive oil).

In a bowl, pour in the evaporated milk and whisk together with the chicken stock powder.  When the chicken is mostly cooked, pour in the evaporated milk and mix together.  At this point, you can add the zuccini and the spices.  Continue cooking at current heat until the mixture starts to boil, then put a lid on it and reduce the heat to medium low (just so there is a little boil going on - this heat will continue to cook the chicken and the other veggies, as well as take the starch in the potaotes and thicken up the sauce). Stir occasionally.

While this is simmering, you can prepare the basmati rice.  I always like to pre-soak my rice for at least half an hour before I cook it, but prepare it however you like.  You can also shell the eggs.  When the rice is done, put the snow peas and eggs into the curry, so that they don't over cook, but just warm up.  Serve the curry over the rice with a nice dollop of mango chutney on top.



Alternatives:

- for a more savoury dish, reduce the amount of evaporated milk and replace with heavy cream or coconut milk

- I always like to make extra so I can take it for lunch the next day.

All for now,
-d

Linking up with The DIY Home Project & Funky Polkadot Giraffe & Organic Homemaking

6 comments:

  1. Looks Yummy!
    I am your newest follower...please stop by and say hi Areyouamom.com
    Thanks and have a great day!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from your newest follower! I'm dropping by from What's on my Mind, and would appreciate a follow back lol. :) I really enjoyed this post, I'm going to have to try this recipe with my family! Can't wait to read more of your blog. Hope your Monday was good and your Tuesday is even better!

    http://www.themtandersenfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried making curry, I might need to try your recipe though - looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Hippie_Mama - not sure if we ever followed you back, but we are now. Let us know how the recipe turns out, if you ever end up making it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Madras Bistro which offers a wide range of delicious North and South Indian vegetarian dishes. Situated in the heart of Bergen County, Madras Bistro is located in Hackensack, NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to thank you for this great read. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    organic jasmine rice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit. We always love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...